Wednesday, April 02, 2008

From NYT: "To See a Stock Market Bursting, Look at Shanghai"

About time this happened.

A whole bunch of comments were made by shellshocked Shanghainese investors which reminds me of what survivors of the NASDAQ crash of 98-99 said:

Suddenly, millions of small investors who were crowding into brokerage houses, spending the entire day there playing cards, trading stocks, eating noodles and cheering on the markets with other day traders and retirees, are feeling depressed and angry.

"These days my family quarrels a lot," says Zhang Liying, 55, a retired hotel waitress who with her husband invested all their savings in the stock market. “My husband asked me to sell; I wanted to hold for a while. Now my husband condemns me as so stupid that we lost our family’s savings.”

Si Dansu, 68, and a retired engineer, is even more distraught, but she blames the government.

“I devoted my whole life to the country. I went to the countryside after graduation, and worked as an engineer in a Shanghai factory until retirement. I invested almost all my savings and retirement fund in the market 10 years ago. But now I’m totally penniless. All my stocks went down.”

Other parts of Asia are as bad, or worse. In India, stock prices have plunged 31 percent in Mumbai; they are off 31 percent in Japan and a whopping 53 percent in Vietnam, another booming economy. Angry investors have burned a securities regulator in effigy in Mumbai, and some are in tears in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

“Some of them have cried,” says Nguyen Quang Tri, 74, a retired cement company manager who was visiting a Ho Chi Minh City brokerage house this week. “I have my own equity, but most of the people here borrowed money from the bank.”

Shanghainese were hoping that the Chinese government will not allow the market to fall months before the Beijing Olympics.

My next prediction is that Irrational Exuberance will be translated into Mandarin and swing back to the top of the Must-Read Investor Education books in China after this incident.

To read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/business/worldbusiness/02yuan.html?ex=1364788800&en=9037453730135cb6&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

No comments: